Friday, July 18, 2008

Birthday

Today is my birthday.  The plan is that Kate is taking me to Kansas City for the weekend--that's all I know.  This being the Works Boys Blog, this is merely background for the fact that Grandma O'Dell is down here for the weekend.  She's taking care of the boys today through Sunday, and they are excited about it.

Eli has been asking about Grandma O'Dell every half hour for a few days now.  We went outside yesterday early evening, when I knew she was almost here, and he spotted her van as it turned down our street, was jumping up and down and yelling, "Grandma O'Dell is coming!" over and over.

Kate and the boys woke me up this morning with a pastry and candles singing "Happy Birthday".  Eli carried it and started the song (in key) all by himself--he's growing up so much.  The look on Avery's face was unforgettable:  a mixture of pride, joy, and unadulterated love.  After the 30 seconds of singing and blowing of candles, Kate and Eli were off to get ready for the day.  Avery laid down and snuggled with me, sharing my pastry.  Through his limited speech, "mine?" I know he's looking forward to his own birthday.  It was a great moment.  Thank you, Kate, for that.

I'll tell Grandma to keep notes about her weekend, so we will have material for Sunday.

No comments: